The unemployment rate in Nigeria rose from 23.1 percent in the third quarter of 2018 to 33.3% in the fourth quarter of 2020 (NBS, 2020). With a labour force of over 120 million people, this means over 22 million Nigerians are unemployed.
The cause of unemployment in Nigeria is multifaceted. Experts have attributed the heightened unemployment rate to the dearth of skills. Employers argue that the average Nigerian graduate does not possess the skills needed for a formal employment and therefore not employable.
To curb the effects of unemployment ravaging the country and to ensure every graduate is equipped with requisite skills for the workplace, Terraskills Graduate Employability Skills (GES) is the bridge that connects graduates with their desire for a better life; GES arms graduates with the requisite skills to unlock their full potential.
The Terraskills Graduate Employability Skills (GES) programme is a 2-month learning experience, where the participants undergo 1-month inhouse training during which they will be exposed to 12 engaging training and learning modules aimed at preparing them for the workplace; thereafter, they will proceed for 1-month Graduate Internship with a reputable organization to expose participants to real life work experience and allow them to showcase their skills, which will enhance their chances of becoming employed in the internship organisation or creating a beneficial network leading them to becoming gainfully employed and self-sustainable.
The first batch of the training kickstarted with 20 shortlisted Nigerian graduates in September 2022, and the training fee was sponsored by philanthropists and corporate organizations (Medialand Nigeria Ltd, and PolicyTV among others).
The main slogan for Terraskills GES training is: Get Skilled, Go for Internship and Secure your Future.
Terraskills aims to equip 10,000 Nigerian Graduates through the GES training with requisite 21st Century Skills, and Emotional Intelligence (EI) necessary for self, business, and the nation.
Benefits of registering for Terraskills GES Programme
- Interested individuals will have access to 100% tuition discount
- As well as access to 1-month practical employability skills training
- And 1-month internship in a reputable organization
- They will also have access to a pool of highly resourceful networks, mentorship and access to free shared space and internet.
- Throughout the training, participants will have access to Terraskills fun filled adventure and experience with the Terraskills team.
Other benefits are;
- Improved social and emotional skills
- Stimulate the development of interest and curiosity
- Developing a positive attitude to learning
- Gain a better understanding of career option and job roles
- Improve self-awareness and stimulate commitment to self and others
- Stimulate the contributory/collaborative mindset
Where is GES taking place?
The training will take place at Terraskills Learning Systems Limited, No. 14 Sunyani Street, Wuse Zone 1, Abuja. Our dedicated faculty of experienced and dedicated facilitators handle all GES training.
Sponsorship of the GES Training
The actual fee for the GES training is ₦550,000/participant. However, the fee is sponsored by some philantropists and corporate organizations, hence participants bear no training cost.
To be deemed eligible, applicants must be:
- a graduate of any University, Polytechnic, College of Education or equivalents.
- preferably be resident in Abuja; with sponsorship, candidates outside Abuja may be considered.
- unemployed at the moment.
- available for the duration of the training (2-months).
Application and screening process
The application portal for the second batch of the GES Training is currently open. The application opens on the 30th of September, 2022 and Closes on the 30th of December 2022.
The selection of applicants will be based on fulfilling the eligibility criteria, and GES assessment. Participants will be carefully selected through a rigorous process that will ensure only qualified candidates are selected.
Applicants will have to fill in their information, take a pre-assessment test, and write an ‘indication of interest essay’. Selected applicants will be invited for a physical interview.
Application Deadline: 30th December, 2022
Successful candidates will be shortlisted and will take an entry behaviour assessment and a self-discovery and behaviour re-orientation.
For this and much more Information relating to employability skills, employment opportunities, career advancement, and entrepreneurship development; Join our Telegram and WhatsApp groups, and also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook