GRAPHICS DESIGN PROFESSIONAL
Graphic Design is a course that explores graphic communication through the understanding of the elements and principles of design; as well as, the design process, from idea development through the final execution of a document. Professionals use the concepts explored in this course in the following disciplines: advertising, graphic design, web design, illustration, broadcast design, photography and game design and many others. Assessment will be based upon a rubric that takes into consideration effort, technical understanding and creative use of resources for the completion of various assignments using Photoshop and InDesign.
- Define and trace the development of Graphic Design
- Identify the numerous design careers which are available
- Evaluate designs (your work and others) for audience, meaning and effectiveness
- Identify and use the Elements and Principles of Design in a decisive fashion
- Distinguish between the types of graphic images used
- Understand and use colour to communicate ideas to others
- Understand the principles of graphic placement
- Use typography effectively in a design
- Utilize Adobe Photoshop to edit photographs and create artistic imagery
- Utilize Adobe InDesign to create publications such as advertisements and brochures
- Lecture, discussion, syndicate work, case study and exercises. Audio-visual aids will be used to reinforce these learning methods.
- The course is suitable for aspiring graphics designers. It is also suitable for website designers who want to expand their portfolio to include graphics design, self-taught designers and designers who want to learn how to plan the architecture,; web developers who want to learn about graphics design and people with an interest in graphics design.